Thursday, November 19, 2009

To my pops

So, my Dad recently recanted his initial rejection of my transition and told me he was going to "be open" to "my decision". It is funny how much easier it is to feel gratitude when you aren't writhing inside. I sent him this email:

Thanks for:

working long hours to provide for us.
making me take typing.
teaching me to drive a stick.
teaching me to be on-time.
teaching me how to change a tire.
helping me recognize the value in rising early, working hard and keeping after it.
teaching me not to sweat the small stuff.
modeling good grammar.
telling me you are proud of me.
co-signing for my law school loans.
being willing to admit when you make a mistake.

and most of all- for giving us a chance.

-A*** (my male childhood nickname that we have agreed we can both live with)

No comments:

Post a Comment